Study 4 of 13 on Proverbs
“In our quest for truth we are often seduced by positions of power. Whether it is a bite of fruit, an ephod of gold, a ministry of popularity, or just a position of influence…we lose the quest for truth when we choose the pursuit for these…positions of power. But truth…is real…it wields strength to make the sick whole, the weak strong, and even the foolish wise. From before this world was made truth existed and the wise knew to stand in awe…the foolish chose positions of power and a third fell with Lucifer. Sin is just that….choosing position over truth….foolishness over wisdom….fear over grace.”—Falvo Fowler
Scriptural Basis: Gen. 1:31; Prov. 8:1–36; Matt. 16:26; Prov. Prov. 8:1–9:18.
Key Text: “The Lord possessed me at the beginning of His way, before His works of old” (Prov. 8:22, NKJV).
1. What kinds of things do we learn about wisdom from Proverbs 8?
2. Can you think of other places in Scripture that support what Proverbs 8 says about wisdom?
3. What is the connection, if any, between wisdom and happiness?
4. How is wisdom connected to the receiving of instruction?
5. Why is the receiving of instruction so often difficult?
6. Why is belief in the Genesis Creation account the foundation of biblical wisdom?